Wednesday 6 February 2013

Finish it in 2013 project: January overview and WIP update post

It's the beginning of February and high time I made an update on where I am in the Finish it in 2013 project! I've copy/pasted the first post and will be adding updates for each item so you can see before and after pictures :)


New Project:

I am also going to start a "large" and complicated new cross stitch project this year based on a photograph by a really talented Alaskan photographer who was incredibly kind and said I could make a cross stitch of it. The photographer is Mike Gates, go check out his site - his work is amazing!

The pattern was made for me as a prize for winning a competition on dA. It's 10 inches wide  x 14 1/2 inches high = 180 x 261 stitches on 18 ct Aida and it uses 147 colours. I am truly intimidated but I did ask for the pattern to be as close to the photo as possible and didn't limit size or colours and I certainly got what I asked for!

Update: I have dyed the fabric for this using coffee.

The Current WIP's:


Sagittarius star sign by Lanarte - central area complete
Update: No progress made on this.







Air and Earth Biscornu -  1st colour (of 4) of the air side done. 
Update:  I finished all 4 sides to make 2 biscornu. This is on hold till I have buttons to finish them with.


















8th century tile floor embroidery in greens and blues.  
Update: I have managed to complete 2 sides of this now















Sampler - barely started
Update: I decided to use for the TAST SAL(see sidebar for a link to the project blog) and see if I can make some sort of picture with all the different stitches have done the first 3 weeks so far.


The UFO's:


2 sleeping bunnies - a Priscilla babyland embroidery - about half done but I *so* hate doing 1/4 and 3/4 cross stitches.

Dog embroidery (portrait) made from a photo years ago by a company - about 1/5th done.

Dog embroidery (standing) made from a photo years ago by a company - barely started.

Autumn leaves needle book WIP - embroidery is 1/2 finished.


The Finishes can be found if you click the tab "2013 finishes" at the top of the page.

8 comments:

  1. I am really excited to see how the TAST project comes out, I love the colors so far :D

    Of course, ALL of your projects are lovely, but I have particular interest in that one ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - it's a huge uncertain project and I'm not even sure I'll be able to do what I want lol. It's fun being able to look in my boxes of threads and just grab what I fancy :) I'll be going to the town where the shop is that has every single DMC product known to woman (well men know nothing about embroidery mostly ;) ) and I'm going to pick up some perle to try as well :)

      Thanks :D

      Delete
  2. Your projects are coming along. I wish you all the best stitching! I love perle cotton for adding some depth to a project! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they are :) Thanks :D I've been trying out some stuff on a sample with my new perle and it's really nice :)

      Delete
  3. The way you are doing the TAST project sounds good; it is nice to just let the needle do the work and forget all about plans and diagrams. Happy free design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the occasional free form project - lets my imagination flow and lets me try new stuff :) Thanks! I am actually doing another free design... wile trying out new threads :D

      Delete
  4. Hi,

    It's possible to have a copy of the grid cross-stitch ? We are swiss and my mother research this one. You can send by email please ?(vegas_nemo@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya,

      I'm not sure which pattern you mean but if it's the earth and fire biscornu you can find the pattern for free here: Elements biscornu patterns

      Delete

Sorry about the comment form moderation... some bored idiots are spamming my blog.